Thursday, July 3, 2014

That moment when everything changes!

You know that saying - Your life can change in an instant?  It's so true!

One moment I'm doing my normal boring thing - the next minute the phone rings and everything changes. I'm a Harlequin Love Inspired Suspense Author!!

My CALL actually started with a voice mail that I listened to in the bathroom of Pizza Hut, but it was still just as amazing as I'd always imagined it would be.


This is my call story:

I was working my summer job at Pizza Hut. I'd only been working a few days and felt like I'd just spent three hours running around like a chicken with my head cut off. The lunch rush was crazy that day. My feet were killing me and I was way past ready for a break. I asked if I could have one and grabbed my cell phone and went to the one place I thought it would be okay for me to check my phone and relax a few minutes... the bathroom. I know, TMI probably, but it's the truth and it's my call story. :)

I had two missed calls. One was an 800 number that I still haven't checked back on and the other was an area code I didn't recognize. I'd asked friends before what the New York area code was, but I couldn't remember. My heart still skipped a beat. I had two voice mails. That tiny flame of hope sputtered to life as I hit the button to check. My Killer Voice story had been with the editor only a few weeks, but they'd started making calls and I was hopeful it would happen for me too, some day. When I heard the voice at the other end I think I nearly fell over. All I remember hearing was, "This is Shana Asaro from Love Inspired books..." After that everything was a blur of tears of joy and just trying to figure out how to call her back. I presumed she had good news, which thinking back on it now, was probably jumping the gun just a little bit. But, I'd heard enough call stories before to know that editors didn't usually call you unless they actually were interested in buying your book.

I asked my manager if I could get away for a few minutes to make a phone call so I could at least call her back and set up a time to talk. I was told I could leave early and go home if I wanted. And boy, did I want. On the way home I called my daughter and through the tears I was still battling, managed to tell her that my editor from the Killer Voice pitch contest had called me and I was on my way home to call her back.

I made it home within minutes. I live in a small town, it doesn't take long. :) I had to explain to my teenage son that there was going to be crying for the next few minutes. He now tells me I didn't explain the why well enough and that he had no idea what was going on until later. Somehow I managed to get it all together enough to make the call back. I think I was able to speak in mostly complete sentences. I hope so anyway. I was so excited. The call was because she wanted to offer me a contract for my Killer Voice book!!! Most of what happened after that is a blur of happiness and thankfulness and every other good emotion you can imagine. We went over some of the details and talked a little about revisions and she asked if I wanted to write under my name. I was stumped on that one. For a very long time I hadn't imagined being anyone other than Tammy Johnson. After I divorced though, it seemed odd to have that be the name associated with every book I write for the rest of my life. I spent most of last night thinking about it, and I've decided to just keep my name. It is me after all.

After that it was a blur of calling my family. I called my daughter back and told her, and my sons and sister, mother, brother ... then friends and then I finally was able to make it to the internet and share with all my online friends as well. It's totally been an amazing experience and everything I had ever hoped it would be. It was a little odd to sit home last night and do nothing after all the excitement, but the down time was probably a good thing for me.

God really has blessed me with this sale. It's been a dream for such a long time and now I can barely believe it's happening. The night before the call I was feeling really discouraged and beginning to doubt a lot of the choices I'd made. I spent some time with God talking about how hard it was for me to keep hoping and believing and that I knew I should just stay strong but I didn't know if I had it in me to keep trying. I begged for a sign that I was on the right path at least. The next day, I got the call. How's that for a sign? I am blessed and so very thankful.

So that is my call story and now the rest of my writing career begins. I'm not sure where to start, but I hope to be here, sharing it with you every step of the way. 


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. The first of many sales I am sure! - Jenna Victoria

Keli Gwyn said...

Congratulations, Tammy! There's nothing like getting The Call, is there? I'm so happy for you. Enjoy the thrill. If you're anything like me, your feet won't touch the ground for days. :-)

Meghan Carver said...

Congratulations, Tammy! Loved your story and the timing of it all! :-) Praying for your future course!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jenna, Keli and Meghan!! It feels really odd that the rest of the world hasn't stopped doing it's thing. But, I have work tonight, I'm sure that will help ground me for a few days. ;) I really appreciate the comments and support, thank you!

Penny Rader said...

Mega congrats, Tammy! I'm so tickled for you and wish you tons and tons of sales.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Penny!!

Christina Tarabochia said...

Tammy, congratulations! I'm a friend of Angela Ruth Strong and that's how I came to see you got the offer. As an author who had her first book release RIGHT after a divorce (The Familiar Stranger by Christina Berry), I made the same decision you have so far. I used the name that was ME. However, within a few years I was remarried and having to decide if I would throw away all the branding I'd put into the new name or honor my new name. I even won the Carol ... under my OLD name. So, for what's it's worth, I suggest praying about it some more and seeing if you can do some kind of compromise, like using your middle name as a last or something. If I had to go back and choose again, I might have used my maiden name.